Monday, February 22, 2010

Blog Revamp and update!

Well, I went through and re-organized my layout and added a page with some general recommendations for websites and books. It's mostly for people who are just starting out, but I will be adding to it as I go along. I don't know if I have any readers yet, but I am hoping to have readers because that would be pretty dang cool.

Magically I haven't been incredibly active simply because I've been busy and contemplative. I have been searching for my purpose in life and magic, and I have really been pondering it every chance I get lately. Sometimes it really bothers me to think about how much of life is just meaningless repetition of routine.

This book series I'm reading by John Twelwe Hawks doesn't help either. It's set in a very Orwellian universe (that could technically also be true) where current technology has been used to monitor and control society by an organization behind the scenes of all governments. In the story there is one idea that I really liked. The organization which opposes the one wanting to control society has a penchant for randomness, and in fact subscribes to the mantra: "Cultivate randomness". I really like this. It's neat, though a bit hard for me to explain. I like the freedom of not being concerned over whether you make the "right" choice, and instead treat the choice making as a random act which does not have overt consequences. For example, the choice to take a left or take a right at an intersection. In most cases you make the turn which makes sense for your destination, but if you just take a random route, you might see some things you wouldn't have seen otherwise, you may be later or earlier than you would have otherwise. It makes your immediate fate different. You can change anything about yourself if your universe is always that changeable. Humans tend to cling to routine and order, so to allow that little bit of chaos in your life could be enough to change the course of everything.

Anyways, that's what I have been pondering lately. I guess I have decided that I want to do that, and that I am clearly getting tired of living a life with no variety and creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment